Whenever you are planning to buy a new used car you have to be very careful in choosing the right model and make which would last for a longer period of time. There are a number of used cars from which you can choose the one that meets your requirement. It’s always advisable to have a good mechanic to get the car inspected when you are looking for the one with high mileage one from the used cars.
The following are the various things which you need to look for before you decide to buy a new used car:
- The first thing to look at is the radio system, AC, headlights and taillights.
- You can know how well the car has been maintained by looking at the interiors and condition of the gas pedal, brake pedal, headliner, carpeting etc.
- Make sure that the essential tools aren’t missing like the spare tire, tool kit, owner’s manual and more.
- Check the alignment issues of the tires and for any kind of suspension problems that the car has.
- Always go for a test drive and concentrate on the sounds that the car might create. Observe on clunk noise which might indicate that there is a U joint issue or motor mount issue or a CV joint which can fail in future.
- Make sure to go to a safe place and try putting break suddenly at a speed of 40mph and check how the vehicle is stopping. Whether it’s in a straight line or it is pulling to any one side.
- The motor oil over the dipstick should be honey colored and translucent. If it’s dark colored and smells then it means that the car hasn’t been well maintained.
- Check for the coolant and any kind of oil leaks under the hood. The brake fluid should be translucent and yellowish in color while the coolant should be bright in color.
- Inspect the transmission fluid which should actually be translucent and red in color. If it’s dark in color then it might be due to the rough driving and due to overheating of the transmission.
- Check all the wheels and check whether there is any kind of play which might indicate worn out ball joints and wheel bearings.
- Examine the body frame for any uneven surfaces. Check the doors and other body panels for any kind of rust related issues.